Frequently Asked Questions for Students

Can I move in early?
Unfortunately, new students may not move in early. If you plan to be in the Chicago area prior to move-in day, you should make arrangements at local hotels so that you have a place to stay until you are able to check-in at Lake Forest College. A listing of area hotels is available here.

What if I have health or physical challenges that would be affected by my living situation? What are Special Needs Accommodations?
The Office of Residence Life recognizes that some students have disabilities or special needs that may require special attention when determining residential living options. If you require special accommodations, please indicate this information on your New Student Housing Application. Students who need such accommodations must also contact Health and/or Counseling Services to discuss their circumstances and provide supporting documentation from your current physician, psychiatrist, etc. The Office of Residence Life will consult with Health Services, Counseling Services, and/or the Office of Student Affairs and review all documentation for consideration. If approved, the student will be notified and assigned accordingly. Because space is limited, single-occupancy room assignments are not guaranteed and are based on demonstrated need. New students who are assigned to special accommodations for the academic year may not have to resubmit medical documentation in the future, but must submit a Special Needs Accommodation Application during the room selection process in the Spring for reconsideration for the following academic year. New students who are not assigned to special accommodations and wish to be considered for a different room should contact the Office of Residence Life.

What should I bring with me to Lake Forest College?
 Click here for a detailed list of suggested things to bring.

What can’t I bring with me to Lake Forest College?
Click here for a list of what NOT to bring.

Is cable TV available in the residence halls?
Cable TV is available in the sports center and the student center.

Are pets allowed in the residence halls?
Fish (defined as animals with fins and gills, living under water 24 hours a day) are the only pets permitted in the residence halls. Maximum tank size is 10 gallons. Dogs and other pets are not permitted inside campus buildings, unless authorized by Public Safety as service animals for students with disabilities or approved by the Accessibility Services Committee as an emotional support animal. 

Are microwaves allowed in students’ rooms?
Individual microwave units are not permitted in student rooms. Microwaves attached to the “MicroFridge” rental unit are permitted. Information on how to rent a MircroFridge can be found here.

Can I loft my bed?
Yes, residents may loft their beds. The only lofts permitted in the residence halls are those acquired through

What type of surge protectors should I bring?
Surge protector power strips should be equipped with a 15-amp resettable circuit breaker and have a cord that is no longer than six feet in length. Only one surge protector is allowed per outlet in the room. All multiple-outlet devices and other surge protectors that do not meet these requirements are prohibited.

What size are the rooms?
Room size varies in each residence hall. We recommend waiting to buy carpeting or additional furniture for your room until you arrive on campus. Floor plans are available here.

What size are the beds?
Each student is provided with an extra long twin mattress and bed frame. Special package deals for linen purchases can be found here. Furniture must not be removed from the room.

What is provided in each room?
The College provides a bed with an extra long mattress, mini-blinds, a chest of drawers, a desk and chair, a mirror, a wastebasket, a recycle bin, and a wardrobe or closet space. Furniture must not be removed from the room.

Am I allowed to remove the College’s furniture from my room?
All furniture must remain in the student rooms. A Room Condition Report (RCR) will be done at the time that students check-in and check-out of the room.

Is my personal property insured anywhere on campus (your room or storage)?
Lake Forest College does not insure and is not responsible for loss or damage from any cause to the personal property of students.  Students are encouraged to explore insurance coverage with their family insurance agent or with National Student Services, a company that specializes in insuring the personal property of students living in residence halls, off-campus houses and on off-campus programs.

What about housekeeping services?
Custodial staff clean the community bathrooms daily, Monday through Friday. Residents are responsible for the upkeep and cleaning of their own rooms and private bathrooms. Students are also responsible for taking their own trash to the dumpsters and recycling bins located outside the residence halls. Each residence hall has a vacuum that may be checked out through Residence Life staff.

What are “quiet hours” and “courtesy hours”?
Quiet hours are designated times in the residence halls when noise must be confined to student rooms. Quiet Hours are10:00 p.m.-8:00 a.m. Sunday through Friday; 2:00 a.m. – 8:00 a.m. Friday through Sunday. These hours promote an environment that is conducive for students to study and sleep.

Courtesy hours are always in effect in every residence hall. Courtesy hours for all residence halls are in effect 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This requires that all members of the Lake Forest community be cooperative and respectful of each other to create a quiet and courteous environment.

Where do I go if I am locked out of my room?
Between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. you may go to the Office of Residence Life to request a temporary key. Between the hours of 4:30 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. you may call Public Safety at (847) 735-5555 (or if on campus, extension 5555) to key you into your room. Between the hours of 8:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m. please see the Residence Life staff member on duty. Be prepared to show identification. For each lock-out, a student is charged $5.00.

What do I do if I lose my key?
Students should contact Residence Life as soon as they realize their key is lost.  Residence Life will order a new key from Facilities Management. Students will be informed when the new key is available for pick-up. There is a $50.00 charge for a key replacement that will charged to the student’s account at the Business Office.

Where do I go if I have lost my Lake Forest College student identification card? 
You can get a new student ID card from the Department of Public Safety, which is located on South Campus. 

How do I do laundry?
Laundry rooms are located in the lower levels or ground floor of each building. You can check availability of machines from your computer by using LaundryView. Laundry machines accept quarters and debit/credit cards. Click here for information.

I don’t like my room assignment. How can I get it changed?
Lake Forest College has experienced unprecedented growth in enrollment. Our residence halls are at full capacity, so room changes for new students are not an option before the start of the semester. However, Room Change Requests will be available two weeks after the first day of classes. Requests are processed on a first come, first served basis. Requests are no longer accepted after the fourth week of the semester. 

Did you know?

  • Over three billion people around the world live on $2 or less a day. Each spring students have the opportunity to participate in the Forgotten Majority Business Conference on campus.